Teacher: Saquab Ashraf
Frequency: One session per month
This course will introduce the style and composition of the Qur’an by studying the well known Sura Ya Sin.
During this course we will look at the linguistic and thematic features of the Sura discussing its relevance in terms of:
- God’s support for the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him and the duty of Prophethood
- God’s support and encouragement of the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him to persist in conveying His message.
- God’s support for the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him in terms of the arguments for resurrection
In addition to this the lessons will
- Introduce the Qur’anic Sciences
- Discuss the benefits of Surah Ya Sin as mentioned in classical exegesis literature
- Introduce types of exegesis, with particular emphasis to the concepts espoused by Razi
- Discuss the main themes/concepts of Meccan Surah
- Demonstrate consonance within Surah Ya Sin and progression of themes/ideas
- Highlight relationship(s) of verses within Surah Ya Sin and other Surahs
- Introduce linguistic styles/techniques such as grammatical shift, metaphor, simile, repetition, word choice, parables etc
- Demonstrate the dawah style of the Qur’an
- Illustrate the persuasive style of the text
- Highlight the argument styles posited by the Surah such as Through and Counter Argumentations
The CEI summary book supplementing this class will be made available as part of the registration process. The book contains the arabic and english translation of Hadith traditions on Sura Ya Sin, a brief explanation of the Sura based on the tafsir of Razi as well as a study pack in the appendix containing each verse of the sura in arabic together with four common english translations and ample space for notes.